Sunday, March 29, 2009

Quail Egg Pictures


That's right! Two posts in one day...I just had to post a picture of the quail eggs in my incubator. Prior to this endeavor, I had never seen quail eggs before. I think that they are kind of pretty. There are three varieties in this photo. The only ones that I can identify are the Texas A&M's. They are the cream colored eggs with the big brown splotches. I purchased an assortment of eggs from someone on the Backyard Chickens website, but I couldn't identify them. When Brad at Rich Heritage sent a shipment of only Texas A&M eggs, it helped me to narrow things down a bit. I could have some eggs hatching in about a week or so, while the ones from Brad will be at least 10 days later.

Thanks again, Brad for allowing your quail to come live with the Martians!

8 comments:

Judy T said...

I always loved how quail eggs looked. A co-worker of mine a while ago hatched out quail. The eggs are beautiful and the chicks are so tiny! Best of luck with the hatching.
Judy

Leasmom said...

They are very pretty and unique. Good luck with the hatching.

Carolyn Evans-Dean said...

Thank you, both!

Brad said...

They look good and right at home. All coturnix eggs are splotched. I have had them range from almost completely chalk white to a polished wood color. I have yet to have the white ones or the darkest ones to hatch. I am anticipating yours hatching more than I am the ones I have in the incubator right now.

ChristyACB said...

I can't wait to see the chicks. I've never seen them and they look so very different when grown.

Very pretty eggs. :)

ChristyACB said...

Hi again!

You asked on my blog about the dehydrator and here is some info for you. I also bought the Nesco last year to see how I liked the outcome before going big this year with the excalibur.

I've been eating stuff from it all winter and I have to say, I'm much impressed. I did strawberries, yellow squash, zucchini, potatoes, onions, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, blueberries...well, everything!

Lots of the stuff plumped back up to pretty much normal looking when I put them in water. I then used them as normal. They don't tend to fry well, but work exactly the same as fresh in casseroles, soups or other winter type foods. And the dogs go insane, I mean a complete loss of reason, over squash and zucchini chips.

I would recommend, if you are on the fence, getting the Nesco this year and working with it. You can work out a lot of the kinks in knowledge using that one and not feel quite such an amateur next year. Also, once you are good with the Nesco, it can be used for the "easier" ones to dehydrate like potatoes while the excalibur is full of the more delicate ones.

Hope this helps!

Thistledew Farm said...

Those are the coolest eggs ever - soooo pretty. Good luck with the hatching.

Carolyn Evans-Dean said...

Thanks, Christy! I might just try the Nesco and use it as you suggested. It certainly beats explaining why I HAD to have another expensive appliance when I've already been whining (Yes...I whine!)about a KitchenAid mixer! I think that TheMartianMan would lose it if I tried to get both right now.